If you have a plot of land and want to build your dream home, you might wonder how to finance your project. The answer is to go for a home construction loan.
It is a secured loan that helps you finance the construction of your residential property on your plot. Unlike a regular home loan, where you get the entire loan amount upfront, a home construction loan disburses the loan amount in stages, depending on the progress of the construction. This way, you only pay interest on the amount you use, not the entire sanction.
What are the features and benefits of a home construction loan?
Some of the key features and benefits of a home improvement loan are:
- Ample loan amount: You can avail a sizable loan amount, depending on your income, credit score, and the value of your property.
- Flexible tenor: Depending on your lender and loan scheme, you can choose a comfortable repayment period, ranging from 12 months to 30 years. A longer tenor reduces your monthly EMIs, while a shorter tenor saves your interest cost.
- Quick approval and disbursal: If you meet the criteria and hand in all the needed paperwork, you could have the thumbs-up for your home construction loan in just a few days.
- Easy refinancing and top-up: In case you have been approved for a costly loan, you can transfer it to a new one for better terms and lower interest rates. Plus, here’s a bonus – you can get a top-up loan on your existing one for any extra costs that pop up during your home building duration.
- Online loan management: You can access and manage your home construction loan details, such as your loan balance, EMI schedule, interest certificate, and repayment history, through the online portal or mobile app of your lender. This makes it convenient and hassle-free for you to keep track of your loan.
Documents required for a home construction loan
- KYC documents that include an Aadhaar card, PAN card, passport, driver’s license, voter ID card, etc
- Income proof that may include your salary slips, bank statements, income tax returns, audited financial statements, etc
- Property documents that may include title deed, sale deed, allotment letter, possession letter, approved building plan, etc.
- Other documents, such as passport size photographs, loan application form, cheque for processing fee, etc.
How to Apply for a Home Construction Loan?
You must follow the steps mentioned below to proceed with this loan.
Step 1: Research Lenders:
Start by looking for banks or financial institutions that offer home construction loans. Check their interest rates and terms.
Step 2: Check Eligibility:
Ensure you meet the lender’s eligibility criteria. They might consider factors like your credit score, income, and the construction plan.
Step 3: Prepare Documents:
Gather mandatory documents such as proof of income, credit history, construction plans, and any other information the lender may require.
Step 4: Estimate Your Budget:
Determine how much money you need for construction. Create a detailed budget to present to the lender.
Step 5: Submit Loan Application:
Fill out the construction loan application form provided by the lender. Be accurate and provide all the required details.
Step 6: Wait for Approval:
After submitting your application, wait for the lender to review and approve it. This process may take some time.
Step 7: Appraisal and Inspection:
The lender might send an appraiser to assess the property’s value. They may also inspect the construction site.
Step 8: Receive Loan Approval:
If everything checks out, you’ll receive approval for the home construction loan.
Step 9: Sign Loan Agreement:
Read the terms and conditions carefully, then sign the mortgage loan agreement if you accept the terms.
Step 10: Disbursement of Funds:
Your lender will disburse funds once you sign the contract according to the construction milestones. Ensure you use the money for the intended purposes.
What are the eligibility criteria for a home construction loan?
The eligibility criteria for a home construction loan may vary from lender to lender, but generally, they are as follows:
- You must hold Indian citizenship.
- You must be between 23 and 65 years of age if you are a salaried individual or between 25 and 65 years of age if you are self-employed.
- You must earn consistently at least Rs. 25,000 per month if you are a salaried individual or a minimum business turnover of Rs. 30 lakh per annum if you are self-employed.
- You must have a good credit score of 750 or above, with a clean repayment history.
- You must have a valid title deed of the plot you want to construct your home.
A home construction loan is a great way to finance your dream home project if you have a plot of land and a clear construction plan. It offers several advantages, such as ample loan amount, flexible tenor, quick disbursal, easy refinancing, online loan management, and tax benefits. However, you should also be aware of the eligibility criteria, documents required, interest rates, and charges for a home construction loan, and compare the various loan schemes offered by different lenders before applying. You should also ensure that you repay your loan on time and avoid defaults or delays to maintain your credit score and avoid penalties.